Sunday, September 9, 2012

Going Coastal

Groupon is a beautiful thing. Last month, I came across two deals that could not be missed. Due to that, we found ourselves hopping outta bed this morning as quickly as possible and loading up for a FULL day of adventure. Our first goal was to get to the coast. It took us about an hour and a half, and the highway dumped us out into the little town of Tillamook, home of the legendary and oh-so-popular dairy factory. My family lived in Portland while I was in grade school, so I can remember family trips there with my mom and step-dad, eating free samples and grinning for the ever-ready camera. And now it was my turn to do that with my kids! The last time Matt and I visited the factory together, we were on a road trip to San Fransisco with two cars worth of friends and Costco purchases. Needless to say, things were MUCH different this time around. All the same, fun and delicious!





 We sort-of lost track of time and had to FLY to our next destination, the train depot. With less than 2 minutes until departure, we raced from our car to board this monstrous old steam locomotive that was headed up the coast. Once safely seated, we certainly did some huffing and puffing of our own! 
 


The train had a much-too-short layover at Rockaway Beach, where we dug and frolicked and admired...

   



We then boarded the train to go back-- again narrowly avoiding a missed train!-- to our original station, aptly named "Garibaldi."



 I'll leave you with the video that we can't stop watching...

..both because of the giggles and the ridiculous teacher-mom face I've got going on at the end. But more about teacher-mom next time...

Hugs,

m

No comments:

Post a Comment